In Steel Division: Normandy 44‘s single-player campaign, your actions have consequences. It’s the persistence factor. Every week on our Twitch channel, one of Eugen Systems’ commanders take control of the 82nd Airborne Division. Every loss, every soldier saved matter for the next fight. After the battle, we’ll make a short debrief of what happened, and how it will impact the overall campaign.Every week on our Twitch channel, one of Eugen Systems’ commanders take control of the 82nd Airborne Division. Every loss, every soldier saved matter for the next fight. After the battle, we’ll make a short debrief of what happened, and how it will impact the overall campaign.
Episode 3: Burning Bridges
Yesterday on Twitch, our developer Shanini took over the US solo campaign and played Mission 3: “Burning Bridges”. He successfully led the units who survived the previous Mission in Sainte-Mère-Eglise, played by Sébastien a week ago. Shanini had to take command of the 508th’s 1st battalion at the Merderet river in order to prevent the Germans from securing the main causeway’s bridge. He managed to hold the enemy back long enough for the reinforcements to arrive and then led a thrilling counter-attack in the woods.
The live stream replay
Every unit Shanini managed to keep will be available in the 4th and final mission of the campaign, here’s a little recap:
- Shanini decided not to deploy the precious 88mm guns in order to have them available for the final round, smart move!
- Many recon units and tanks were saved and will provide valuable assistance to our next player.
- Shanini managed to complete the secondary objective, destroying the major German anti-aircraft defense. Thanks to his work, the Air Force had a clear way and some extra planes will be available for the next mission.
Our next episode will take place in two weeks, as next stream on June 22th will be dedicated to a special announcement… Stay tuned!
Episode 2: Blood on the Risers
Yesterday on Twitch, we continued our weekly adventure in Normandy. Sébastien, our Associate Producer, replaced Keran and played Mission 2: “Blood on the Risers.” The objective was simple: with the survivors from Mission 1, some captured vehicles, and reinforcement, Sébastien needed to save and resupply his allies in Sainte-Mère-Eglise and then defend the town against incoming Germans soldiers from all sides. And, well, he did the job.
The replay of mission 2.
Here is the recap of how Sébastien’s actions will change the flow of the next fight:
- The captured 88mm gun survived the siege of Sainte-Mère, so the Allies will be able to use it in the next mission.
- Sébastien succeeded to destroy the threat coming from the east. The gunners of the enemy German 88mm gun were killed or ran away, so the next commander will have the possibility to also put it in his battlegroup.
Every survivor will be available (mostly recon and infantry units).
Now, it’s time for the 82nd Airborne Division to hold the Merderet bridge… A famous battle since the movie Saving Private Ryan! The next stream will be June 15th on our Twitch channel. Stay tuned!
Episode 1:Hedgerow Hell
Last time in our weekly Twitch stream, Commander Keran was very brave and smartly used his resources to win mission 1. His troops survived the “Hedgerow Hell,” destroyed all the German forces and secured the way for the DD tanks. It’s now time to link up with the paratroopers in Sainte-Mère-Eglise, and start mission codename “Blood on the Risers.”
The replay, if you want to watch it again.
Here is the recap of how Keran’s actions changed the configuration of the 82nd Airborne Division for the next mission.
The positive aspects are numerous:
- He cleared the way in an average amount of time. That’s why not all the US tanks were able to pass, and so only six packs of M4 DD amphibious tanks will be available next. The maximum was nine packs.
- He captured some enemy support units that will be very useful to help our allies in Sainte-Mère. He will be able to use some German Opel Blitz, that comes sooner (Phase B) that his standard DUKW (Phase C) and compensate for the loss of one jeep .50.
- He achieved most the secondary objectives, but not all of them. As a gameplay bonus, the division will be granted access to only one M7 DD self-propelled gun. If all the objectives had been filled, the player could have used 2 M7 units.
- After this first success, other units were unlocked by the general headquarters for mission 2. We will be able to use some Ford GPA and M30P that are off-map arty units, but also units from the Air category.
However, Keran lost some soldiers during the battle, and so his successor will not be able to replace them in mission 2. In his battlegroup, the commander will have fewer choices of infantry and artillery, with incomplete packs of experienced AB Mortar and Airborne Rifles but also without two of his AB M3 Gun 377.
To be continued… TOMORROW AT 6:00PM CEST on Eugen Systems’ Twitch channel!